If you want to start a new woodwork project, or you want to teach your kids how to make something out of wood, we have compiled a list of straightforward projects that you might want to try out.
During these unprecedented times, lots of folks have found themselves getting bored at home. Learning a new skill is a great way to pass the time during the ongoing pandemic, and who knows, it might turn out to be something you really enjoy doing.
Woodward is a fantastic skill to learn, and thanks to the internet, there are several useful tips only a click away. You don’t need a professional carpenter by your side to show you how to make basic things out of wood, but you should take safety seriously.
Safety is of vital importance when it comes to woodwork. Even seasoned carpenters get hurt, so safety should be your number one priority. Here are some tips to keep you safe while working on a new project:
- Read the operating instructions: If you have invested in a power tool, read the manufacturer’s instructions thoroughly before using the device. Some experienced carpenters upload video tutorials to streaming platforms on how to safely operate different power tools, which might be worth checking out.
- Use the right wood: Some pieces of wood can cost a small fortune, so you won’t want to mess it up. Before cutting into expensive lumber, practice on cheaper pieces of wood first.
- Protective gear: Before you begin sawing, make sure you and others working on the project wear protective gear. Heavy gloves, protective goggles, and strong shoes are just a few of the items you will need before you begin to work with wood.
Don’t take any risks when it comes to woodwork. A small mistake can prove dangerous, so you will want to have a medical kit close by just in case you or someone else sustains an injury.
Top 5 Projects
- Chopping board: Do you enjoy cooking, or do some of your family members claim that they are the best chef in your household? Home cooks can never have enough chopping boards, so why not make one from scratch? These boards are not difficult to make out of wood, but it might be worth investing in waterproof glue that is food safe.
- Wooden bench: If you are planning on investing in new garden furniture, why not save yourself some cash by making a bench yourself? Even those with a small amount of woodwork experience should be able to make a simple bench within a few hours.
- A bandsaw box: A bandsaw box is a fantastic birthday gift for a friend or family member. These easy to make stylish boxes are great for storing items, but they can also be used as a decoration.
- Bookshelf: Not everyone is glued to their smart devices, some folks still read books and magazines in this modern world we live in. However, keeping track of all of your books can prove challenging, and if you are lacking storage space, making a bookshelf out of wood might be something that interests you. You will only need a few sheets of wood, and a band saw or jig saw to help you cut the wood.
- Spice rack: A spice rack is another practical kitchen woodwork project that you might want to take on. You can make a simple rack out of a few sheets of wood, and install it in your kitchen.
Keep Everything Clean
When starting your woodwork journey, you will want to keep your work area spotless at all times. To avoid your workshop filling up with clutter, clean up regularly. Make sure tools are kept in storage, so you can find them when you need them.
Keeping your workshop in good shape will help you focus on the projects you are carrying out. The work area must be ventilated at all times while you are working. Make sure that your workbench is clean, and that there is enough light in your workshop. If you are unable to see clearly, you could hurt yourself when using any of the tools. Do whatever it takes to reduce the risk of getting injured.
To become a top carpenter takes time and a lot of practice. You will want to learn all about the different carpentry tools, but that doesn’t mean you have to learn everything at once. Take your time, and try to figure out how to use each tool gradually. Working with wood can be a lot of fun, and who knows, you might end up making a career out of it.
If you are friendly with a professional carpenter, why not ask them if you could help them work someday. Seasoned carpenters will be able to provide you with useful woodwork tips.