Benefits Under Workers Compensation Scheme in Australia

The workers’ compensation scheme provides employees injured at work with the financial help they need, including assistance with their treatment and rehabilitation expenses.

It compensates workers for the loss of wages because of the injury, covers medical and rehabilitation costs, and has a one-time payment where the damage is permanent.

If you face injuries at work or feel sick, you must seek advice to understand the types of claims and the procedure to file a suit. How does the scheme work, which injuries does it cover, the claims process, and other related information? Read on to find out.

Workers Compensation Scheme in Australia

Types of injuries covered by the insurance

These are some of the injuries covered by workers’ compensation insurance.

Physical injuries

They refer to injuries incurred from an external source, including burns, abrasions, cuts, lacerations, broken bones, fractures, and puncture wounds.

Psychological injuries

Conditions leading to abnormal thoughts, feeling, and behavior fall in this category, and some examples are anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder.


You are eligible for insurance if your body is affected by abnormal medical conditions like infections, inflammation, or an unsafe working environment. These include Q-fever, industrial deafness, and respiratory diseases like silicosis, asbestosis, etc.

Is it compulsory for employers to have workers’ insurance?

All employers in the States and Territories of Australia must have a workers’ compensation insurance policy to provide financial cover to their employees for work-related injuries, diseases, illnesses, or deaths.

Some of the benefits covered by the insurance include weekly payments (when your injuries have affected your earnings), medical, hospital, travel and rehabilitation expenses, domestic assistance, aids, and special equipment, and lump-sum compensation for the injuries you faced.

However, the employee or worker will receive the payment only according to the claims process. They must show that they received the injury at work and requires medical treatment.

A brief idea of the claims process

Here is some information to give you some idea about the claims process.

Reporting the injury

It is advisable to report your injury immediately to your employer; in cases of severe injuries, one of your colleagues will do that for you. Your employer must also inform the Workers Compensation Insurer about the damage within 48 hours after its occurrence. However, you or your legal advisor can do the same if they don’t. You must also get a claims number for record purposes.

When the insurer accepts the liability

If the insurer accepts the employers’ liability, they will pay you the weekly compensation or wages, provide the necessary treatment, and offer you a potential lump sum payment and domestic care payments.

If the insurer denies the claim

The insurer may not entertain the claim for various reasons, including:

  • Checking if you claimed within the stipulated time frame
  • Whether you are a worker of the state where the accident occurred
  • The duration of your inability to work
  • Treatment requirements

If the insurer denies your claims, you should seek advice from compensation lawyers who will advise you on the other processes and available legal options.

 Why should you hire a lawyer?

It is vital to seek legal advice from Law Advice workers compensation lawyers or similar services when dealing with the Compensation Claims Process. By challenging the insurer’s decisions, your lawyer will ensure you receive the full payment you are entitled to.

When hiring compensation lawyers, choose a firm that provides free, confidential, and no-obligation consultation regarding entitlements and claims.

You should contact expert compensation lawyers who know the intricacies and complications of the Workers’ Compensation Process. They will assist you in the best way possible, including providing free advice. You can call them on a number, visit their website or visit one of their offices.

(Visited 66 times, 1 visits today)